Brown Smith Wallace offers its clients a unique service/resource — captive insurance company analysis and formation, plus, tax and audit services all under one roof. Our team members have significant, hands-on experience in forming captives, so our advice is grounded in practical insights on implementation and how to maximize the return on investment on these entities. We have expertise in on-shore, off-shore and 831- B captive companies.
A Fully Integrated Team
The Brown Smith Wallace Insurance Advisory team has unparalleled experience in forming captive insurance companies and providing companies strategic guidance on how to maximize an insurance captive. Meet our uniquely qualified team of professionals:
Alan Fine, Member, Insurance Advisory Services, CPA, JD
Alan specializes in insurance company taxation. He has 20 years of experience in consulting on various tax-related insurance business topics, including captives and complex GAAP and statutory accounting tax provisions. Prior to joining Brown Smith Wallace, Alan was a senior manager with a national accounting firm. Alan is intimately familiar with the IRS rules and regulations that govern the use of captives for tax purposes.
Bill Goddard, Principal, Insurance Advisory Services, CPCU, MBA
A 35-year veteran of the insurance industry, Bill brings considerable expertise to each client engagement. Bill served as vice president, risk management and benefits for The May Department Stores Company for more than two decades. Bill thoroughly knows the insurance coverage side of the business.
Larry Pevnick, Member in Charge, Insurance Advisory Services, CPA
Larry has over 30 years experience serving insurance and reinsurance companies. He has audited or consulted with many of the major insurance companies in the United States and has also audited and provided consulting services for numerous captive insurance companies across the country. Larry was chief financial officer for a nationally recognized insurance carrier and was an insurance audit manager for a national accounting firm. Larry is very conversant with all the regulatory and reporting requirements for captives
Our services include:
- Captive insurance company formation
- Reinsurance analysis
- Tax research and structure analysis
- Financial review, including premium claims analysis
- Business and coverage analysis
- Wealth transfer planning
- Tax compliance and planning
- External audits
Associations and Jurisdictions
- We are members of the Missouri, Arizona and Vermont Captive Associations and the Captive Insurance Companies Association.
- We are currently licensed and approved to conduct regulatory annual audits in the following jurisdictions (domiciles):
- Arizona, Delaware, Hawaii, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Nevis, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and constantly entering new jurisdictions, as needed.
Click to receive your complimentary copy of Insights magazine.